Center of Excellence
About “Komfo Anokye teaching Hospital (KATH)”
The Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) is located in Kumasi, the capital of the Ashanti region with a total population of 5,432,485(national population census,2021).
The geographical location of the 1,200-bed hospital, the road network of the country and the unique commercial setting of Kumasi makes the hospital accessible to all remaining fifteen (15) regions of the country, especially those that shares boundaries with the Ashanti region.
Consequently, the hospital receives referrals from 13 out of the current 16 regions of the Country namely; Upper East, Upper West, Savannah, North East, Northern, Ashanti, Bono, Ahafo, Bono East, Central, Western, Western North and Eastern.
The hospital currently has Thirteen (13) clinical directorates and two (2) non-clinical support services directorates.
In the 1940s, there was a hospital located on the hill over-looking the historic Bantama township in Kumasi. The hospital had two sections designated separately as African and European hospitals. As their names implied, the African section treated Africans while the European section treated European’s. however, on some rare occasions, high-ranking African government officials were given treatment in the European’s section.
By 1952, the need to construct a new hospital to cater for the fast -increasing population in Kumasi
and therefore the Ashanti region had become essentially critical. The European Hospital was therefore transferred to the Kwadaso (Sofo Line) Military Quarters in Kumasi to make way for the new project to begin.
In 1954, the new hospital complex was completed by the contractors, Messrs. GEE Walter & Slater of the United Kingdom, and named Kumasi Central Hospital. The name was later changed to Komfo Anokye Hospital, in honor and memory of the legendary fetish Okomfo Anokye, whose spiritual powers is well credited and reorganized for the strength and unity of the Ashanti Kingdom.
The hospital attained a teaching hospital status for the clinical training of medical students following the establishment of the School of Medical Sciences (now School of Medicine and Dentistry, SMD) of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi in 1975.
KATH is currently a major centre for the training of postgraduate medical and dental practitioners in various specialties and the training of undergraduate personnel in Pharmacy, Nursing and many Allied Health Professions.
Through its Directorates and Units, many research works on health and health-related areas have been undertaken, many of which have been published in renowned and peer-reviewed national and international journals.